Sunday, August 2, 2009

Shrimp, Hummus, and Cake, Oh My!

Today I went over to my good friend Rogue's house for a marathon cooking session for our book club which was being held later that day.

We photographed all our recipes for Rogue's blog, she has the coolest camera equipment ever. It made my little kodak point and shoot want to cry and hide in my purse. But that's ok because Rogue and her husband lent me a fancy shmancy camera to use to teach myself basic photography. They also lent me The Idiot's Guide to Digital Photography. They know me so well




Our book club read Moloka'i by Alan Brennert. It is a haunting story of a young girl living in Hawaii in the late 1800s who is sent to the island of Moloka'i when it is discovered that she has leprosy. The characters in this book are rich and detailed, and the history of this island really adds to a compelling and emotional story.

Anyways, in keeping with the Hawaiian theme, we made fried coconut shrimp with a sweet and spicy sauce.



These came out fantastic. I had coconut fried shrimp the night before at the Orange County Mining Company and ours were way better, our sauce was much more flavorful and tangy. Our shrimp also wasn't heavily breaded so you could still taste the shrimp amidst all the coconut.

We also made a pineapple upside down cake. This was so rich and sweet and delicious. It had so much butter and sugar in it, Paula Deen would have been proud. And yes, I am going to the gym tomorrow, for about 8 hours.




And finally, we made macadamia nut hummus with toasted pita chips dusted with cumin and lemon pepper. Another great recipe, I have found a new way to love macadamia nuts, although my favorite way to eat them is still probably with covered in chocolate.



Of course, Rogue and I were not the only ones to bring food to book club, hence this very full plate and why I always come home from book club with a stomachache.



I love getting together with these lovely ladies for book club, we even managed to talk about the book this time!


1 comment:

  1. AHHH I am so proud of you, look at all the hyperlinks in your blog. Great Job! And thanks for a fun day, it was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete