Monday, August 24, 2009

Baby? Maybe?

So Brady and I have been talking about having a baby. Well, it's mainly me saying "I want a baby," and Brady responding that we need to save money, or get settled in our house, or focus on our careers, or some other totally annoying and logical reason to wait.

I know that when the time is right we will have a baby. I also know that when we do have one, I will be a working mom. That is probably our biggest obstacle right now, trying to figure out what to do with a baby during the work day. We've concluded that leaving the baby in the backyard with a bowl of water and a chew toy, to be raised by our bulldogs, is most likely going to get us arrested.

We've done minimal research into the topic of daycare. And by research I mean we harass other couples that work and have children about what they do with their kids during the day. The ideal situation would be if I could work from home for two days a week so that we only need daycare for three days a week.

I am already conflicted about being a working mom. Although I am conflicted, I know for a fact that I will be one. I love what I do. I love being a lawyer, I love the area of law that I practice in. I feel like I actually make a difference and I feel good about what I do. Plus, I worked my arse off to get where I am and I'm not ready to give that up. I also know that I want a family, at least two kids. Both my parents worked and managed to raise three kids, and do it well. Hell, my mom only took off six weeks after having me and she was a registered nurse in an emergency room. If she can handle that, I can handle having children and sitting in an office. Brady was raised by his grandmas and they both worked and he turned out quite well.

I like to believe that I'm an excellent multi-tasker and organized and that I will just adapt to the situation. But then days like today hit and I question this. Today was a great day, but it was crazy busy. I didn't stop until about 11pm. I woke up at 6am, went jogging for 20 minutes, took care of the dogs, got ready for work, worked all day, went to dinner, Home Depot, went to the grocery store, did laundry, cleaned bathrooms, vacuumed, and made a casserole for us to eat tomorrow night. I looked at my husband and said "I'm exhausted, I got a lot done, but I'm running on fumes, exactly how is a child supposed to fit in with all this?" I didn't have an answer, Brady didn't have an answer. I think we'll go back to harassing couples with children that work and see how they do it. For the time being though, I am very happy with my little family of me, Brady, and our furry children.


Photo by Rogue. She's an amazing photographer and so good with dogs! My dogs actually listen when she's around.

2 comments:

  1. AWWW thanks you are sweet. I am putting in my vote that you need to have a baby now, that way we can be preggers together. And just for the record both my parents worked too and I turned out just fine, where there is a will there is a way and you are going to be the best mommy ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your hubby on this one. A baby changes everything and nothing will ever be the same. It will be amazing and wonderful, but it's also best to be as prepared as possible. Enjoy being married! Don't rush!

    ReplyDelete