Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Marriage

Here is a picture of my parents on their wedding day. They have been married for about thirty three years (I think). Despite being married on Friday the 13th, they have had a long, happy (most of the time) marriage. Don't get me wrong, they have had their blowout fights as we all do, but they really know how to stick together through the tough times and enjoy the good times. I think that is the secret to a long lasting, happy marriage. That, and never cooking on a Saturday night. Oh and your having your husband take out the trash because that's boys work.


As I was writing the above paragraph, I caught myself: I said have your husband take out the trash. What if your are a wife and you have a wife? Who is going to take out the trash? I am an adamant support of gay rights, one of them being the right to marry. I believe that homosexuals, transgendered and transsexual individuals must have the right to marry, to be free from discrimination in school, employment and the military. To have all the rights that "straight" Americans enjoy. I do not see this as a religious battle, I do not carry judgment against those whose religious views conflict with my views on this issue. I only hope and pray for them that their minds be opened to realize that all individuals should be treated equally. That being said, I do not see this as a religious battle because I am speaking of rights granted to us by virtue of law and due process. I want the equal protection clause to apply equally. I want due process to actually be served. I was disheartened when proposition 8 passed, but I am confident that the right in this fight will prevail, and all who wish to do so will be able to be legally married.

So back to the question, if you are a wife and have a wife, who takes out the trash? Rock, paper, scissors. Which is actually how my husband and I decide who is going to take out the trash most of the time because even though our trash cans are right outside our house, we are both lazy and do not care to deal with trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment