Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Fashion and Maturity

Tonight I finally got around to watching The Devil Wears Prada. Brady actually DVRed it for me, he loves him some Anne Hathaway. I can't believe it took me so long to see this movie, I love fashion, accessories, Vogue. This movie had my name written all over it!

I suppose I should say that I used to love fashion, accessories, and Vogue. When I was in college, I was so madly in love with clothes and fashion. I poured over the pages of Vogue, I watched all the runway shoes on television (this was back when the Style network actually showed the runways and not just a bunch of home decor/how do I look crap), I was even accepted to fashion school! I spent whatever money (or credit) I had on whatever designer clothing I could afford. Which meant I owned a fair amount of BCBG procured from the nearby outlet mall. But I dreamed of the day when I would wear Prada, Gucci, and Chanel without blinking an eye.

I really thought that by the time that I reached thirty I would be wearing all kinds of designer clothes. And I am. That is if you consider Target designer. I suppose J. Crew is somewhat designer, and I still have my love affair with Nordy's. But somewhere along the way from college to where I am now, I just stopped caring about all the labels. I stopped buying Vogue. Now don't misunderstand me, I still love to shop and the thrill of a new dress will always get me, but I just no longer feel the need to spend exorbitant amounts of money on clothes. I guess this is what they call "maturing" or "re-prioritizing." Of course having a mortgage and student loans that equal a mortgage don't exactly provide the right financial environment for loads of designer shopping. I have just realized that there are more important things in life than having the most expensive or hottest designer outfit. I can look just as cute and put together from shopping at your basic stores in the mall rather than spending a ton of money on something that is going to be out of style and unwearable next season.

I am proud of myself that I have moved on from the lure of designer labels. Now, I just need to get over my love of designer purses. It doesn't make much sense to buy a purse that costs as much as a month of daycare!

No comments:

Post a Comment