Friday, March 19, 2010

Brown Bagging It

I did it! I actually did it! I brought my lunch to work everyday this week, Monday-Friday. When I eat lunch out I typically spend about $10, so this week I saved $50! I brought leftovers for lunch everyday and one day I had an apple, cheese and miracle whip sandwich (delicious and not a prego craving, I've always loved apple sandwiches).

With a baby coming and extra expenses coming (i.e. daycare) I have been trying to re-think the way I approach food. I'm not talking about eating healthier, I actually do ok in that area (ignore the chocolate cake I just ate). I am trying to teach myself to spend less money on food. I love to eat out, in restaurants, nice restaurants. And that adds up, quickly. I remember when Brady and I first started dating he was shocked at the restaurants I wanted to go to just to get a bite to eat during the week. I was picking places worthy of a first date just for a quick dinner after class on a Wednesday.

So I am cutting way back on eating out and when we do eat out I am choosing placings that are not going to break the bank. Let's face it, dinner on a Tuesday should not cost $40 for two people, that's ridiculous. I've been cooking a lot more, which is nice because then I have leftovers for lunch. Brady and I still go out to eat on the weekends, hello, I never cook on a Saturday night. But we have totally revamped the weeknight eating. And it is saving me so much money! I always blamed shopping for my excessive spending, but now I see eating out is really a big chunk of it.

This new approach is also preparing me for when the baby comes. I know I won't have time to eat out, especially with a newborn. I am getting used to grocery shopping on Sunday, with a comprehensive list, and buying enough food to last the entire week without eating out. I have become the queen of casseroles because they are easy, relatively inexpensive, there are lots of leftovers for lunches and dinner the next day. I do believe that casseroles may be the salvation of the working mother. Next on my list is to conquer my fear of the crockpot.

2 comments:

  1. Slow cookers are the best! Once you start using it you will be astounded that you didn't do so before. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to learn how to make something in a crockpot but it looks hard. :( Damn my VERY limited cooking skills!

    ReplyDelete