Sunday, January 10, 2010

Renewals

Today at church we celebrated the Baptism of the Lord so the homily was all about renewing your baptismal promises and recommitting yourself to the Church. I was baptized in the Catholic Church when I was 7 years old and have renewed my baptismal promises several times over the years (you do it at baptisms, when you are confirmed, at certain masses, etc.) I always try to pay attention to the promises that I am making to the Church, the rejection of evil, and such. But tonight I paid extra special attention and really affirmed my baptism with a special kind of gusto because it felt so much more important to do so while being pregnant. My faith has waxed and waned over the years, but I feel it is really important to raise my child in my faith and for myself to have a strong foundation in that faith if I am going to pass it down to my child. When my child is old enough to make educated decisions, I will allow him to choose his own path, but until then I consider it my job to lead him down the path of faith.

While I was sitting in church, thinking about renewals of promises, I started thinking about an episode of Real Housewives of Orange County. Ok, I know I was supposed to be concentrating and I swear I had been all along but this episode just randomly popped in my head. I am a good Catholic, not a perfect one! Anyways, in this episode Vicki and Don renew their wedding vows at this awesome beach location. So I started thinking about renewing my wedding vows with Brady. Not necessarily having a ceremony, but going away for a little romantic vacation before the baby comes to renew our promises to one another and have some fun.

When I got home from church, I asked Brady if we should go on a "babymoon." He said yes immediately! Today I reaffirmed my faith to my church and decided to renew my promises to my husband on a "babymoon." Now we just need to figure out somewhere to go. Not bad for a lazy Sunday. Oh and we went to Ikea and bought a bookcase today. Super productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment