Monday, May 3, 2010

Such A Brat

Today was one of those days. A no good, very bad day. It all started with me snagging my super cute polka dot tights. The second pair of super cute polka dot tights that I have purchased because I snagged the first pair. It seems that my bad days always start with snagged tights or a run in my nylons. The next time this happens I'm going to take the hint and go back to bed until the day is over.

I'm not going to go into the details of why my day was so bad because it was kind of personal but if you are dying to know you can always just ask me and I'll probably tell you because I tend to overshare like that. Anyways, this post is not so much about what made my day bad but more about how I handled the bad day.

I tried to do lots of little things to make myself feel better. I ate some cookies. I went to Chick-fil-A just to get a lemonade. I complained to my husband and my sister. But I still felt myself spiraling into the whiny, bratty, "why me?" "Why is life so hard?" "It's not fair." "Why can't things be easy like they are for everyone else?"

I hate this whiny, bratty version of myself. I realize that we all need to whine at some point but I hate when the whininess turns into comparing myself to others and deciding that everyone else has things easier than me and why does everything have to be so hard for me? I hate this attitude because deep down I know that everyone does not have it easier than me. I know sometimes it seems like people have things easier but, in reality, everyone is fighting their own battles and everyone has things that are hard in their lives. And it does no good for me to compare myself to other people. It doesn't make me feel good, it doesn't accomplish anything, it isn't productive. It's a waste of time.

When I got home today, I discussed the cause of my bad day with my husband. I laid out the best case scenario, the worst case scenario, pros, cons, and options I could consider. Now that is how to handle bad news. That is productive. I felt better after that conversation. Much, much better than just being a whiny brat about things.

So while I am annoyed that I spent a lot of my day wallowing in self-pity, I'm glad that I recognize that this is not a positive attitude and have tackled the problem with a new attitude. Also, enjoying a dinner of all-can-eat sushi with your best girlfriends and topping that off with a fudge brownie helps the situation as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment